Tuesday, February 26, 2013

MANathon: week one

Its actually a really manly story as my roommate explained it. The persians were like the dark side trying to get the world on lock and and were brawling with the greeks. the greeks owned 'em at marathon and their captain was like "Some one go tell A-town that we rocked the persian"and phil was like "I got some wind left, brb"and books it to all the way there without a breather to Athens. he rolls up and is like "we pwned those n00bz" and then died. (he's really smart as you can see, but you might want to read up on it at one of the links)

so my roommate said he wants to run one so he can put it on a resume and look more accomplished. I told him computers have spell checkers not fact checkers. he said I don't understand how fulfilling it would be to finish. I told him I don't but I would like too. said we decide to run it together. So I didn't think to write about it last week which was my first week of training but I have enter the SLC marathon and will be running it at the end of april.

It's not on my bucket list to run through SLC along side Trax, but doing a Ironman has always caught my eye. an Ironman is 3 mile swim in the ocean, biking 120 miles and then a marathon cause the other stuff is easy. so I told him I am running a marathon to see if i can even work up to that bucket list goal.

I think paying to run is stupid and i cried when i paid $113, but then again I remember i am going to get a t-shirt that you could only get at D.I. next year. I think i would be better off just having some one hit me in the knees with a crowbar and get it over with. who wants to work up to that feeling for 8 weeks when you can do the drive thru approach. having said all that, Here i am, 8 weeks away and i have only ran 3 or 4  times, but i did do a two 10 milers.

To be honest I don't think they do it cause it feels good to take an hour out of your day to exhaust yourself. Or they like paying $113 for and D.I. t-shirt when they should be saving up for that hip replacement their going to need in the future. Nope, it for the bragging rights. "I'm a runner" is how they describe themselves. ''26.2'' and "Ragnar" stickers on their cars is how they in directly describe themselves. My friend wants to look good for a employer. I want to set my sights on something bigger.

The feeling that "I did it" never leaves us. We need and crave it. It just depends on what you are interested in. I want to see myself do this. I want to be part of the culture even if its only once.

No comments:

Post a Comment